It is a fact that choosing the right kind of upholstery fabric can safeguard you from a number of problems in the future. In case home or commercial building where the upholstery is placed is more used to a lot of guests or if you are the kind of person who does not like to regularly clean the upholstery items of your home or offices, it is recommended to put some effort into determining which kind of upholstery fabric is best suited. There are different kinds of upholstery fabric that can be selected, which are easy to clean.
These tips are shared by Idaho Carpet Cleaning and Restoration, an Idaho Falls upholstery cleaner that sees a lot of dirty homes.
The common type of Fabrics to use on Upholstery
Some of the common types of fabrics that are used to cover the upholstery are as follows:
- Organic Material Covers: These materials are organic and naturally occurring such as wool, linen, velvet, cotton etc. These are widely used since they are more comfortable to sit on. However, there is some downside to these materials as they are more susceptible to damage and stains.
- Inorganic Material Covers: These are the fabricated or manufactured materials such as nylon, synthetic leather etc. These materials are usually stiff but they are easy to clean in comparison to the organic materials.
- Long Fiber Covers: These covers have long fibers and usually they are good looking. However, they are easily damaged by dust and stains while it takes more effort to clean them. Similarly, the pet hairs are tangled in them more easily as compared to other types of materials.
Things to Consider before choosing the Upholstery Fabric
There is a lot of aspects that you should consider before choosing the upholstery covers. A few of them are as follows:
- The expected use of furniture: The upholstery fabric should be chosen depending upon their expected use. If the furniture is expected to take more wear and tear, then fabricated materials should be used which will be more easy to clean. However, if the furniture is to be used on rare occasions then a cover should be used which is more comfortable and good looking. Regular cleaning should be applied, however, in order to increase the life of the material.
- Presence of Pets in Home: Pets are good partners at home but they also severely damage the upholstery and carpet fabric. They can scratch the covers and tarnish their beauty while at the same time; their hair can stick in there, which requires proper cleaning process. In case there are pets in the home, it is advised to use the inorganic materials, which will be easy to clean while if there are no pets in the home than organic covers can be used.
- Presence of Children: It is important to consider if there are children at home since they are more likely to rough use the furniture and regular cleaning may be required.
- Guests and Visitors: In commercial buildings, if a lot of guests or visitors are expected then suitable fabric material should be used so that it can be quickly cleaned.
It is stated that putting a little time in choosing the most suitable fabric saves a lot of time in the longer run.